How can I get Couple Therapy for Depression?
You will need a referral from the local Healthy Minds IAPT service and must be registered with a Buckinghamshire GP. Please call Healthy Minds on 01865 901688 for an assessment.
Relate Mid Thames and Buckinghamshire are pleased to be working with HEALTHY MINDS, the Buckinghamshire IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) service, enabling us to offer this specialised service which is funded by the NHS.
We are also delivering a pilot Couple Therapy for Depression service for the East Berkshire IAPT service TALKING THERAPIES. Again you need to be registered with a Berkshire GP.
Couple Therapy for Depression is a type of talking therapy that can help both people in a relationship with the emotional difficulties that sometimes flow from problems between partners, especially when one or both people are depressed. Sustaining a fulfilling and stable relationship is never easy. Pressures from work, money, children, family tensions and ill health can all contribute to creating problems.
Everyone’s therapy will be a bit different but typically the couple therapist aims to help you and your partner open up the issues that seem to be troubling you both.
Together you will:
- Decide on new ways to relate to each other
- Gain greater understanding of you and your partner’s feelings
- Learn new ways to communicate which may involve ‘homework’
- May offer you sessions on your own at the beginning as some things are hard to talk about
- with your partner first
- Help you find your own ways to understand and resolve the problems you are having
Sessions will be:
- Once a week
- For about 60 minutes
- Number of sessions required varies
Find out more about this service: